Afro-guyanese peanut soup
2c chopped onions
1tsp cayenne or other chiles
1tsp grated, peeled fresh ginger
1c chopped carrots
2c chopped potatoes
2c tomato juice
1c peanut butter
1c chopped scallions
1. Saute the onions in the oil until tender. Add cayenne,
ginger, and carrots for a few minutes. Mix in potato and
stock. bring water to boil and then simmer for 15 min.
until vegetables are tender
2. Puree vegetables (optional) and return to soup pot. Stir
in tomato juice and peanut butter until smooth. Season soup
to taste with sugar, if desired.
3. garnish with scallions
Dahl (split pea puree)
1c dry yellow or green peas
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1tsp hot pepper sauce
salt, pepper, to taste
1. wash peas and place in a saucepan with water. add , onion, and hot pepper and boil for about 30 min.
turn heat to low and simmer 1 hour
2. remove peas from heat, puree, and then reheat
3. saute garlic until brown, stir in cumin. stir mixture
into peas and mix well
Serve hot with rice or roti
1c , grated
pepper sauce to taste
1tsp dry mustard
black pepper to taste
1. Rub butter and flour together
2. Add grated cheese, pepper, pepper sauce, and mustard
3. mix well
4. Shape as you would like. Here they put it through a
multipointed star shaped mold and make 2-4 inch. straws
that are straight or curved.
5. place straws on a baking sheet. bake at 400 degrees for
about 15 min.
In my opinion, these taste as close to cheezits as I can
Good luck, have fun!
Tuesday, July 20, 2004
Posted by Brian Konkol at 20:00